Friday, May 8, 2015

Lighten Hair Naturally using Essential Oils - Sun Spray


Before I got pregnant with my 2nd child I was a blonde! Yeeep... I couldn't keep up with it and I didn't want those coloring chemicals hurting my baby, so I let it go back to my dark natural color. Now that I know more about how bad hair coloring chemicals can be, I decided to try to find oils (there's an oil for everything lol) that could potentially lighten my hair a bit. 

I've done the lemon juice in my hair when I was younger so I researched that first. I found Roman Chamomile as well as grapefruit oil helps lighten hair too! Whoop. I'm going to mix a few drops of each with some water and vegetable glycerin to make a hair lightening sun spray! I'll give this a try and post an update soon! 

Lemon oil- It's used in hair-lightening shampoos and rinses. Lemon essential oil also pulls double-duty like a grease-fighter for people with oily hair. If you have dry or damaged hair, lemon oil might be overly drying. Citrus oils can make skin more sensitive to sunlight, so don’t get lemon oil on your exposed scalp or hairline. 

Chamomile’s tradition of lightening hair dates back centuries, when women infused the flower’s fresh or dried petals to create a lightening rinse. Of the chamomile oils produced today, Roman chamomile is most effective for hair products. Roman chamomile oil is distilled from the flowers of the perennial chamomile plant Arthemis nobilis. Since it lightens without drying or over-moisturizing hair, Roman chamomile oil is really a good choice for people of all hair types. 

In a 15mL bottle (I reuse my old 15mL essential oil bottles and add a spray top. You can find them online at myoilgear.com) add:

- 15 drops of Lemon essential oil

- 15 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil

- Add 1/8 tsp of vegetable glycerin or fractionated coconut oil

- Top with distilled water 

FYI::: Be-careful to avoid spraying this mixture on your skin and then going out into the sun. Citrus essential oils can cause photo sensitivity and you will be more prone to sunburn.

3 comments:

  1. Hello I am wondering about roman chamomlie. All of the brands that I have seen are bluish. Will that affect blonde hair in anyway?
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does this need to be rinsed out? And do I use a hairdryer to help lighten it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post and really helpful...... and your blog are very interesting and inspiring.
    midnightinfo

    ReplyDelete